Saturday, December 20, 2014

AMATEUR RADIO YL'S do you want to do Slow Scan Tv SSTV

Are you are YL (Young Lady) Amateur Radio Operator and have an interest in SSTV (Slow Scan TV)?

please let us know by responding to this BLOG or send Niece and email: KA1ULN@MAIL.COM

First let me point you to our BIBLE (if you will)

here is the minimum equipment you need in order to do SSTV:

a radio transmitter,
b computer plus software software: mmsstv ( 1 alternative)
c and a hardware interface between the two (rigblaster)

here is another really great page for basics easy read
get on one of the frequencies 14.230 and check out the pictures.

send me email: if you have more questions just post comments/questions or suggestions right here

Thursday, December 18, 2014

United States hams operating outside of US... what to do?

Operating Overseas Operating Overseas FAQ
1) Does the country you will be visiting participate in a multilateral reciprocal operating
authority--CEPT or IARP? If so, operate under CEPT or IARP.
2) If it does not, can I obtain a Reciprocal Operating Permit even if the country does not share a Reciprocal Operating Agreement (bilateral) with the US? Yes
3) Are you traveling to Canada? The US and Canada share an automatic reciprocal operating agreement. How can I operate outside the US?

You can find a complete listing of the requirement for a country or countries at Operating Information by Country. This includes most countries, including CEPT and IARP participating countries. How can I operate when CEPT or IARP isn't possible? Yes. It is possible to obtain a permit a permit for almost every country in the world. Although ARRL maintains paper files at HQ, the most up-to-date information on obtaining permission to operate in a country can be found online at the ARRL Web site or on the Web site of Veikko Komppa, OH2MCN. ARRL HQ and Veke, OH2MCN, work together to make sure that up-to-date information appears. This can include information on the national Amateur Radio society, repeaters and local clubs. Information on travel warnings in a particular country can be obtained from the US Department of State with the primary purpose of alerting the public to adverse conditions in specific countries. Are there guidelines for obtaining a permit? The most complete information appears on the ARRL Web page. If specific application information for a country on this page is unavailable or unclear, write a letter of request or send an e-mail to the countries telecommunications authority for a permit. Include information on the purpose of your trip, the dates and place(s) of your stay, your passport and the equipment you intend to use. Attach to it a photocopy of your amateur radio license issued by FCC. In some cases where Amateur Radio is not widespread, a letter attesting to your character signed by the chief of police (or equivalent) of your hometown might help if attached. Submit your application as much in advance of your trip as possible. It may take 30 to 90 days or more to be processed. Do not forget to keep a photocopy of everything you send for future reference. This does not guarantee that you will get operating permission, but it is a start. In many cases, it is important to have contacts in a country and the IARU society of that country may be helpful. What are my privileges are in the country I will visit? When operating under CEPT or IARP, there are two classes: Class 1 licensees are those who have demonstrated proficiency in Morse code to the licensing agency. They may operate with the same privileges they are authorized in their home country provided that they do not exceed those privileges granted to the highest class license available in the country. Class 2 licensees have not demonstrated proficiency in Morse code to their national telecommunications agency and are limited to privileges above 50 MHz. If the country does not participate in CEPT or IARP, the privileges are whatever the telecommunications agency granting the reciprocal operating authority says that they are. If not specified, the ITU Regional provisions apply generally, but there may be exceptions. How can I operate my station in Canada? When a US amateur operates in Canada, simply bring your FCC license, proof of your US citizenship (a birth certificate or other proof) and identify as call / Canadian identifier, like N1KB/VE3. At least once during the communication, you must state your geographical location, like "30 km north of Toronto."

Wednesday, December 17, 2014

Amateur radio contests thru the end of year 2014

If you are having trouble reading this message, you can see the original at:
The ARRL Contest Update
If you are hesitant about diving into heavy CW traffic, the kinder, gentler ARRL Rookie Roundup's CW edition will help you give it a try. Answer stations calling "CQ R" ("CQ Rookies" - a non-Rookie looking for Rookies) or call "CQ RR" yourself ("CQ Rookie Roundup" - a Rookie looking for any station) at a speed at which you feel comfortable. After you enjoy Rookie Roundup, don't forget to take a tap at the key in the ARRL Straight Key Night before your New Year's Eve fun begins. It starts precisely at Jan 1, 0000Z and runs for 24 hours on 3.5-28 MHz and all bands from 50 MHz up. Exchange general QSO information and send in your list of contacts by Jan 31st. December 20-21 ARRL Rookie Roundup--CW NAQCC Milliwatt Sprint--CW (Dec 17) Russian 160 Meter Contest (Dec 18) Feld-Hell Rudolf Hell Sprint OK DX RTTY Contest Lighthouse Christmas Lights QSO Party Croatian CW Contest December 27-28 SKCC Straight Key Sprint (Dec 24) DARC XMAS Contest (Dec 26) RAC Winter Contest Iron Ham Contest Stew Perry Top Band Distance Challenge--CW Original QRP Contest--CW RAEM Contest--CW don't forget to pass the word for the blog KA1ULN.BLOGSPOT.COM

Monday, December 15, 2014

WHAT is 10-10?

This statement is taken from
if you are interested in 10 meters) Ten-Ten International Net,
or 10-10 for short, is an organization of amateur radio operators
dedicated to maintaining high levels of amateur radio communications
on the 10-meter amateur band (28.0-29.7 MHz). Established in 1962,
10-10 has grown continuously since that day, with some ups and downs
according to the numbers of sunspots and the openness of the band.
As you read this, the number of 10-10 numbers issued to members is over
76,000. 10-10 would welcome your membership in the organization if you
have an amateur radio license with 10-meter privileges.
10-10 is a volunteer organization with no paid officers.
Although 10-10 does contract for certain services to ensure that each
member receives his or her quarterly issue of 10-10 News, the 30+
page journal of 10-10 activities, the real work of providing services
for members falls on the shoulders of dedicated volunteers.

I love being a member and love 10 meters so we are a good match



Featured Post

January 2019:Classic Exchange, CW: 1300Z, Jan 13 to 0700Z, Jan 14 and 1300Z, Jan 15 to 0700Z, Jan 16

2019 is the YEAR of KIT-BUILDING ************************************************************************* join the SLOW SLOW SLOW ...

Most Popular Posts